ABOUT NMSCB’s CERTIFICATION PROCESSES
The Meditation Specialist Board Certification is a three phase Certification Process that requires those seeking National Certification successfully meet accreditation criteria, demonstrate that they have integrated Core Values (code of ethics) into their personal and professional lives, and demonstrate that they have basic knowledge, skills and competency required for National Meditation Specialist Board Certification.
Test Dates for 2013:
Online: January 12 -20, 2013 May 17 - June 1, 2013 August 10 -17 2013 October 5 - 19, 2013
Practical: June 16, 2013 1PM - 5PM, September 23, 2013 9AM - 5PM
Process is as follows:
1. Complete 300 hour training as listed in eligibility criteria below
2. Pass the online exam with a minimum score of 75%.
3. Pass the practical exam with a minimum score of 75% on each of the core competencies.
4. Apply for board certification before May of the year seeking certification. See FAQ link for more specific information.
Certification Criteria and Credentials
The NMSCB offers three Certifications: Meditation Specialist I (MSI-BC); Clinical Meditation Specialist II (CMSII-BC); and Advanced Practice Meditation Specialist III (APMSIII-BC). A description of the basic eligibility follows.
Meditation Specialist I (MSI-BC)
300 Hours of Training which should include:
Eight-Session Webinar Series
Retreats offered by the Center for Meditation Science or Equivalent with approval
One-year logged personal meditation practice
Minimum of 150 hours teaching core competencies in addition to class hours. This may be achieved in a classroom or one-to-one setting.
Completion of online exam with a minimum score of 75% and the practicum exam with a minimum score of 75% on each of the core competencies.
This written exam is a computer-based test offered 4 times per year. Applications for this test are accepted 30 days prior to the opening of the online exam. It is suggested that you have completed the eight week webinar series before scheduling the exam.
Practical Exam: The practical exam is given 2 times per year. Applications for this test will be accepted at any time; but need to be submitted at least 30 days prior to the test. A minimum of 150 hours of logged teaching is needed prior to taking the practicum exam.
Cost to sit for computer exam $175, Practical Exam $ 225
(Optional) One day review course: $250
Cost for Application (see below)
Board certification applications will be accepted at any time of the year but are reviewed only once per year beginning May 1st and ending May 31st.
Anyone seeking reciprocity for any of the above criteria please contact us.
Clinical Meditation Specialist II (CMSII-BC)
An additional 1000 hours total of clinical contact, teaching and personal practice after level I. Plus, 60 hours of advanced training.
Average time span: 2-3 yrs. after level I
Clinical contact includes: minimum of 150 hours
Teaching includes: minimum of 150 hours (private clients and/or classes)
Practice includes: personal daily practice for at least 1 year post level 1.
Additional Training: 3 advanced training modules with Dr. Susan Taylor
Cost: See Below
Advanced Practice Meditation Specialist III (APMSIII-BC)
Completion of the Professional Competency Training or equivalent**
* Stress Reduction through Focused Awareness or Mindfulness in Mind-Body Medicine
* Practicum in Focused Awareness or Mindfulness Meditation
* Teacher Development Intensive (Equivalent of Retreat 2 in the Professional Competency Training)
* Ongoing daily meditation and mind-body-centered awareness practice and commitment to the integration of meditation into everyday life
* Professional experience and graduate degree or equivalent in the fields of health care, education, and/or social change
* Experience teaching a minimum of four - five week meditation courses or equivalent
* Regular participation in advanced training courses and conference calls
Usually requires: 3-5 years additional training beyond initial certification
Clinical contact includes: 1500 hours
Teaching includes: 500 hours (class setting)
Practice includes: on going daily practice for at least 3 years
Additional Training: 5 advanced training modules
Application Portfolio for the Advanced Practice should include:
* One copy of a video of a class that includes examples of you leading meditation practice, engaging in group dialogue and inquiry, and making a didactic presentation. (Option: May be done onsite with Senior Staff)
* One copy of your supporting instructional materials, including course curricula, home practice audio tapes or CDs, and workbooks, and other teaching resources.
* Letters of recommendation from:
- A mentor or teacher who is personally familiar with your meditation background
- Two professional colleagues who have experienced your Evidence-Based meditation teaching through participating in your classes and/or who have referred participants to your meditation courses.
* Evaluations from five of your students.
* A description of the number, setting, location, and dates of all your meditation classes
Clinical Hours: These are acquired while working with patients or clients. Clinical hours implies that you are using meditation as a therapy. Each hour spent counts as 1 hour toward the total.
Teaching Hours: This includes both one – to – one and group classes focusing on teaching principles in mindfulness and focused awareness.
Practice Hours: This is a log of your own personal daily practice.
Advanced Training: The Center for Meditation Science holds 5 advanced training retreats that can be used toward advanced practice. You may substitute other trainings with approval from the NMSCB.
Initial Certification Application
This application is a type-able PDF. Applicants have the option of saving the application to their own computer, typing in all of the required information, then printing the application, signing where appropriate, and mailing it. Alternately, all applications may be printed out and then filled in by hand in blue or black ink before mailing.
This exam is a computer-based test. This means you can apply all year and test during a 14-day window at a time and location convenient to you. Applications for this certification will be accepted at any time.
**We expect that MS teachers who apply to sit for board certification will have completed the professional competency training program listed. However, you may make a case for the equivalency of other trainings, retreats, and long-term meditation teaching experience.
Cost to sit for computer Online Exam $175, Practical Exam (in person or CD review) $ 225
Please contact us if you have questions about whether your certification qualifies for reciprocity. Contact our Office.
Certification and Re-certification (Renewal)
Certifications must be renewed every 2 years to be considered Active Status. Renewal applications are due at least 1 month before your certification expiration date
Meditation Specialist I : 300 hr. training course. Initial application and renewal of certification (consists of 150 hours over 2 years) Cost: $ 200
Clinical Meditation Specialist II : indicates 300 hr. training, 60 hours of advanced training, plus an additional 240 hrs. of clinical contact, teaching and practice over 3years Renewal Cost: $ 225
Meditation Specialist III: Advanced Practice 500 hrs of clinical practice and teaching contact, over period of 3 years. Renewal Cost: $250
The Meditation Specialist ™ Competency Training, provides the art and science of meditation, as well as the technology behind it, in order to offer the most comprehensive training currently available.
99 Grimms Road
Honesdale, PA 18431